Shalom Manor is a great place to volunteer and give back to the community where you live. We have a variety of different volunteer opportunities for those who want to take part in this rewarding experience.
Personal Hair Setting Volunteer
If you want to enhance a person’s self-esteem and make them feel beautiful, then this may be the position for you! Volunteers are needed to set resident’s hair in curlers. No experience required for this position, we will train you by pairing you with a more seasoned volunteer!
Many of our residents are in wheelchairs or require a volunteer to walk with them to special events in our auditorium, to the professional hair salon or to worship service. If you would like to accompany our residents to programs, this may be the opportunity for you!
Between crafts, baking, socials, outings, sing songs, games, bowling and Bible study, our residents are kept quite busy! Becoming involved in our recreation department requires high energy and good interpersonal skills.
Provide support to the laundry department by assisting with labelling and tracking of residents’ personal items and/or providing minor repair work on resident clothing. We provide training.
Ongoing maintenance assistance (plant care, painting, etc.) or small one-time projects.
Many of our residents require help at mealtimes. Whether that be encouragement to continue eating/trying different things on the plate or extensive assistance eating. This is a great opportunity to visit with a loved one while helping with an activity of daily living.
Our Café and General Store is completely volunteer run and proceeds go to Resident’s council.
How to Become A Volunteer
To become a volunteer of Shalom Manor & Gardens, you must complete these steps:
- Complete an application form and submit the completed application form to the Coordinator of Volunteers.
- The Coordinator of Volunteers will contact you for an interview. An interview is conducted to determine whether Shalom Manor & Gardens is a suitable volunteer placement for both you and our Residents.
- Due to the vulnerable population we are working with, successful applicants will be required to complete a Vulnerable Persons Police Screening at the expense of the volunteer.
- Volunteers are placed in various roles according to personal interests, availability of time and any special skills or talents you may wish to share.
- A corporate orientation must be completed prior to beginning service.
RHRA – Retirement Home Regulatory Act – As a retirement home, Shalom Gardens operates under the Retirement Home Act.